03 April, 2014

Blessed to GLORY Land

Backyard Siberian irises arched their green leaves as fresh yellow petals burst in praise to their Creator. Confederate jasmine climbed up a trellis and opened sunny buds, the first time since it had been re-planted four years ago. I fiddled with the underground sprinkler controls to bless them with showers.

I’ll willingly weed and water my garden to enjoy its fruits and colors, but I detest those little pink earthworms you find when you dig into rich topsoil. My Beloved hubby will dig holes then prepare the soil, and plant flowers and trees of my choosing. But not the vast array of plants I bought in 2010 from a garden behind the family built log home of a Master Gardener.


Since the Master Gardener had arthritic challenges, I paid extra for others to plant my backyard. The check went 100% to a local charity: Heart of Georgia DDM.

Heart of Georgia Developmental Disabilities Ministries, DDM for short, is what we stumbled on in our search for support and friendship with like-minded parents of special needs kids.  In this locality resides many aging parents /guardians caring for special adults at home.

Who will care-give and house these adults, should disability or death come to their caregivers? Care-giving parents here seek vacancies in group homes that provide spiritual aid as well as physical comforts.

In 2005 concerned parents gathered to study, fund, determine a site plan for two group homes. Chosen to lead these efforts was teacher/ special needs mother, Mrs. C., who also had barrels of Holy Spirit given patience and optimism.

Her gentle smile would fill a room of people with joy; it would also empty pockets for the ministry. She and her volunteers sold coupons for a discount on purchases at Belk Charity Days. She sold hundreds of tickets for southern gospel music fundraisers and the yearly Charity Civic Center show performed by local celebs, even doctors and dentists that were thanked for their own personal donations. She pushed bake sales, silent auctions, and bowl-a-thons.

Her efforts went beyond funding.  She welcomed anyone to volunteer and grow their talents in the ministry. During construction folks fed lunch to the workers--professionals or DIY folk-gratis serving. When the city inspector surveyed the first house, he wondered aloud, “This ...was built by volunteers?”

Mrs. C raised local awareness about the needs of special adults with developmental disabilities. Well-written articles drew MBH and I to attend the DDM planning meetings. Our family was welcomed and befriended by Mrs. C and other parents with their special adults

As jasmines bloom and yellow irises glow, I could bless my dear friend and her once pain-free hands that nurtured the parents of my backyard bliss.

This morning MBH shared with me what doctors had thought would happen to my friend last year in October. Just two weeks ago Mrs. C still poured out verbal blessings to a former pupil. now DDM house counselor, caring for Mr. and Mrs. C’s Down Syndrome son who moved in two Christmases ago.

Now her son and the rest of the family gather back in the log home, tissue boxes in hand.

Cleansing grief may tarry. But joy will overarch the grief. My friend, the master gardener, the eternal optimist, is living pain free, in the presence of the Greatest Master and Gardener.

I glance again at the spring blooms, a glint of the heavenly glories that await Jesus followers.
Dear Reader, Mrs. C, my Kuya, and I invite you to come and go with us to that land ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

©2014 Cynthia Hinkle, all rights reserved. If you want to buy or reprint articles, please contact Cynthia. Email Cynthia